Brexit Updates: Exporting and importing
Today, businesses can trade between the UK and EU with minimal restrictions.
How this will change post-Brexit
The UK will trade with the EU on the same basis that it trades with much of the rest of the world - so tariffs, quotas, checks and regulation will now apply.
- Similar changes will apply to trade with many non-EU countries, e.g Japan.
What this means for businesses
Visit gov.uk for step-by-step guidance on importing and exporting from the EU, incl.
- Make sure you and/or your suppliers have an EORI number
- Check the rate of duty and tax (incl. VAT on exports) you will be liable to pay
- Consider applying for duty deferment if you import regularly
- Check if you are subject to other regulations that are changing, e.g labelling
You should also visit DIT for guidance on trading with non-EU countries.